27 March 2013

2/100 - Mounia


The weather has been awful lately, so it's been difficult to go stranger-spotting. Still, I carried my camera with me every day to work, because you never know what opportunity might come along. Today it did. In the morning I saw a Muslim lady in a headscarf with piercings and lashings of red lipstick - she looked great and I asked her for a photo. She agreed but was in a rush, and changed her mind before I could click the shutter button, so that didn't work out.

After work I headed for the bus stop and there was a woman trying to talk to passersby about charity donations, to get their details. I've been thinking about choosing a charity to donate to every month, just never really got round to researching them, so when I saw her I thought I might as well stop and hear what she has to say. We talked for a bit but turns out I had to give my contact details so someone could call me to discuss it further. It's a well-known charity so I wasn't too worried about my data being sold to third parties,  but didn't feel like it was necessary to provide it since I could look everything up online anyway. Still, the woman said it would help her in her job if I gave my details, so we made a deal - I can take her photo for this project if I provide them. She crossed the street with me and there were two of her colleagues who looked interested when I told them about the project and were happy to participate. One of them was Mounia.

The light was fading fast so I had to be quick - my camera did pretty well under the circumstances but it's still a bit too dark I feel. Then again, it looked OK in Photoshop and now in .jpg it's not as good - that's colour calibration for you... Despite the technical flaws I think she has a very sweet smile, reflecting her friendliness towards me, the random and probably weird-looking person with the big camera. The photos of her colleague who led me to her didn't turn out well so won't be included in the project - but she led me to Mounia so it wasn't all useless!

No comments:

Post a Comment