31 March 2013

The ones that get away

I've been wanting to write about this for a few days now but only had the chance to sit down today.
This project is all about approaching strangers. Random people. You don't know what to expect - but neither are they expecting you to interrupt their daily activities with a probably surprising request. Asking to take someone's picture is to step into their personal space, in a way; crossing that invisible line that everyone draws when walking around among strangers, creating a kind of barrier (at least, in the UK I often feel this way, especially on public transport and in crowded areas) that keeps them in their little bubbles. It's therefore pretty much guaranteed that I will face rejections as I go along. I had expected this, of course, but the first rejection was still difficult to get over. So far it's only been the one but it's reduced my confidence slightly. The other day I spotted a stylish and cute redhead (what is it about them? I'm drawn to them, seriously) at a shopping centre and asked her for her picture for my project. She at first asked what she needed to do, but after I'd told her she said "no thank you". She was polite, but it hurt! Not only because I really wanted to take her picture, but because afterwards when I replayed the conversation in my head, I realised where I messed up my pitch. Apart from the wording, I also probably sounded very nervous, which is never a good thing. During the rest of that day I kept thinking "why do I have to be so awkward sometimes? Why can't I be the friendly, approachable person my friends know me as?".

But in the end, that's partly what this project is for. To help me overcome my nerves when talking to strangers; after all, they're only people like me, they don't bite, and as long as I'm nice, polite and calm even a rejection shouldn't hurt. I'm sure I'll get there, after all this is only the beginning. I did speak to more people than the number of photos on this blog - but they either had to dash off after agreeing, or I saw they were slightly apprehensive, the photos showed that and didn't turn out well so I didn't use them. Every conversation with every person takes me forward in my journey, and I'm grateful that despite the rejections I will most likely receive in the future, there will definitely be many more who agree to take part and share a little part of themselves with me and the 100 Strangers community.

No comments:

Post a Comment