23 June 2013

In a rut

It's frustrating, but I haven't made a lot of progress these past few weeks. Partly because I've had other things to do in the spare time I'd have had to dedicate to stranger-spotting, but also because stress has got to me and at the end of a day at work (lots of talking and multitasking) the last thing I feel like doing is more talking.

I really need a holiday. Am going to France soon, hopefully I can use my somewhat rusty French to convince some natives to participate in the project, that should be interesting!

Another thing that I feel limits me is my gear; I've always tried to make the most of what I have, and I think I'm doing quite well considering I have a really old and not particularly professional camera, but often I feel that the light is not bright enough for a good quality shot - and don't think darkness, think anything that needs ISO at or above 400... not just for the stranger project but for everything else. I was doing a shoot the other day and it was made very difficult by a dark and cloudy sky plus a model moving quite fast, so I needed a high shutter speed, requiring a higher ISO. Needless to say it didn't go well and I had a lot of editing to do to make the shots halfway presentable. It was frustrating and disappointing. I have my sights set on the 5D Mark II but it's still going for over 1000 quid which is really not in my price range for now unless people start paying me for every shoot I do - but to get people to pay I need to produce high quality photos, meaning I need a better camera... catch 22. I buy scratchcards sometimes, you never know ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment