8 June 2013

Back on track - recent thoughts

It's been a while since I posted here, which I'm annoyed about because there've been a lot of things I've wanted to write, just never got around to it. I didn't take any photos for almost a whole month I got so busy with work and pre-arranged shoots+editing... but then bagged two in one day last week, so I'm back on track. What annoyed me even more than not blogging though was my lack of a camera precisely when I saw super-interesting people! I therefore decided to lug my camera with me to work every day, which of course meant I didn't see anyone I wanted to photograph. Sod's Law eh. I won't give up - I've ordered a DSLR cosy thing, which will protect the poor thing from my keys and other random items in my typical woman's handbag, so I won't have to keep wrapping it snugly in a scarf, increasing the 'camera whip out time' which is often crucial to do in time if you see a quick-footed stranger.

I had an interesting discussion on Flickr with a fellow 100 strangerist (I just made that word up) about how he also has far more success photographing women than men; he estimated his rejection rate with men to be over 50% which to be fair is not exactly encouraging for me. I think I'll really have to work on having the courage to ask men too, if I see any potential subjects! I'm still drawn to redheads too, but they feel strangely difficult to approach (I keep finding excuses: she's walking too fast, is probably in a hurry; she's with 3 other people; etc). It's like when the only guy you avoid talking to at school is the one you fancy, because his rejection would hurt the most (wow. I really don't miss my school days come to think of it).

On another note, I got my second rejection today for the project. Not bad considering I've had 21 yeses. She was a very nice street performer dressed in vintage garb (in case I haven't mentioned this before, I LOVE vintage) and at first agreed to a photo without hesitation. Then as I raised my camera I started to tell her about the project, and that was when she declined. She was nice about it, said she didn't want her photo taken for something she "doesn't know about". I offered to show her examples of my work on my phone, and jokingly told her I'm not some dodgy person, but I suppose she might have had bad experiences or is simply cautious, what with her style I bet lots of people notice her, possibly dodgy ones too. I didn't push it further, she was quite apologetic so I wanted her to have a positive memory of me, but I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't press her a little bit more, telling her more about what this project is about and what a considerable following it has on Flickr. But selling anything - including myself - is one of my weakest points; I easily take no for an answer. I think I could work on this a little, for my own sake - selling myself will be key if I ever want to network and actually start charging for my services at some point (in a future far far away, but I don't want to rule it out).
Hey, that statement right there sounds like I'm not selling myself. OK, not in a future far far away! I've seen worse togs than me charge for work so it can be done I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment